Saturday, January 28, 2017

JGE 113 – Spinach and Zucchini Quiche with Japanese Yam Crust

Good Day,

Yes, I do love to experiment with food. And I love to eat food.



 And In this case, a Spinach and Zucchini Quiche fit everything; food, experimentation, and eating.

I borrowed the recipe from Cooktop Cove – “Watch how to make a spinach and feta quiche with sweet potato crust”.

Here’s the list of my ingredients –

1 ½ pound Japanese Yam – I didn’t have any Sweet Potatoes. I sliced the Yam using my Mandolin.
10 ounces Baby Spinach
4 cloves Garlic, minced – I used a tablespoon of minced garlic
1 Onion, small diced – I like onion and I used a medium one
¼ cup Buttermilk – I did not have any low-fat milk
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup Feta Cheese
1 cup shredded Mozzarella – I added a tad bit more.
5 Eggs
½ teaspoon Paprika – I used 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon Salt
Pepper to taste.

I sliced the Japanese Sweet Yam extremely thing and created the crust. I brushed the crust with Olive Oil.


I baked it in the oven at 375˚F for 10 minutes. I then let it cool down.


I then fried the Onion, the Garlic, and the Zucchini on Olive Oil until the Onion was translucent. I added the Baby Spinach and let it sort of reduce. I made sure that the ingredients were dry and then I set the vegetable aside to cool them down.


I beat the 5 Eggs with the Buttermilk, Paprika, Salt and Pepper, and Mozzarella.

I filled the cooled crust with the cooled vegetables and then poured the Egg mixture over the top. I then crumbled the Feta Cheese and sprinkled it over top.

I baked the Quiche for 30 minutes at 375˚F. Watched to see that it did not burn and then took it out of the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes.



The result – Not bad. The one nice thing that I did like was the offset of the salty Feta Cheese against the sweetness of the Japanese Yam.



Would I try this one again? Hell yes.

Jim's gotta eat. Be healthy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment