Monday, March 12, 2018

JGE 114 – Day 2 Authentic (Almost) Irish Shepherds Pie

Good Day,

Well, I've been asked regarding my construction of my Irish Shepherd's Pie for our Day 2 of my authentic Irish Cuisine Challenge.


Oh yeah, my Irish Cuisine Challenge began on Saturday MArch 10 and will run through St. Patrick's Day on Saturday March 17. The Challenge is to re-create as many authentic Irish dishes that actually and may come from Ireland.

Did you know that Corned Beef and Cabbage is not necessarily an Irish recipe from Ireland? From what I have read it is a recipe concocted by Irish Americans here in the United States. The corned beef is said to have come from some Kosher Deli in the States, as a replacement for a specific and unavailable ingredient.

Also Green Beer is not indigenous to Ireland.

So I thought that pictures/images, in this day and age, are worth much more than 1,000 words.

I actually combined, albeit borrowed, ingredients stated in two recipes. There recipes are 1. Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie from Genius Kitchen, and 2. Roast Garlic Shepherds Pie from Donal Skehan.





And here are the ingredients that I used.

Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Russet Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Ground New Zealand Lamb
Ground Pepper
Sea Salt
Thyme
Beef Broth
Red Wine
Green Peas
Butter
Sea Salt
Ground Pepper


And just to add a wee bit of panache I added a Marinated and Chickpea Salad.

Just remember Jim's gotta eat.

Enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment