Sunday, March 15, 2015

JGE 34 – Pollo y Calabaza y Garbanzo

Good Day,

I wonder if I ever mentioned that I always have had an inherent craving for Calabaza. It probably comes from my early childhood, the Caribbean, and food. And so I bought a half an almost cleaned out portion of Calabaza.



From Dictionary.com the Calabaza is described as a squash, also known as tropical pumpkin grown mostly in tropical and semi-tropical climate. The description continues that is “a very large pumpkin-like squash with orange flesh that is moister and sweeter than pumpkin". It is also known as abobora, ahuyama, crapaudback,Cuban squash, giraumon, toadback, West Indian pumpkin, zapallo. Calabaza is the Spanish word for pumpkin.


The Calabaza is bloody hard.  I use a good knife...and it is a pain to cut off the skin.  It does take time.

In the bottom of my freezer I pulled out two ½ lb bags of what I thought were chicken breasts. I threw them into the fridge to thaw out overnight. Turns out that the chicken breasts must have ground themselves up during the night. And so I substituted the ground chicken for the what I thought were breasts.


And of course, I had to add, and chop/mince up some garlic and onion.


Into a medium-heated pot I add some Olive Oil and browned the chicken.


I then added the chopped Garlic and Onion and let that cook until translucent.  I did not want to burn anything... but if you like that charred flavor, be my guest.  Next I threw in some seasonings - Dried Oregano, Pink Salt, Pepper, and Cilantro.


I found a can of Garbanzo beans in the pantry. Next I added the drain and rinsed Garbanzo beans.


Just read this on the site The World’s Healthiest Foods  “The garbanzo bean group had better blood fat regulation, including lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides.” Could explain my drop of 11 + 10 next day early morning blood sugar points after I ate this for supper last night.


To the mixture in the pot I added a large red chili pepper, some more spices.  At this point, if you want you can up the heat and add any types of other spices that you know may go well together.  Hell there ain't no rules...to go taste.  I did add a couple or three tablespoons of the Tomato Chili Sauce that I made the other day.  (See JGE 32 - Upside Down Vegetable Cake for that recipe.)

Next I added the Chicken Broth.  Because I used ground chicken breast I sort of thought that it would need some of that extra chickenie broth flavor.  Oh I think I added about 3 cups...or thereabouts.

After 5 minutes.
Gently stirred after 10 minutes.
After sitting at low simmer for another 10+ minutes.
At this point I took out about 1/2 cup of broth and mixed, to get rid of the lumps, 2 tablespoons of Cornstarch.

And then I heated up, in the microwave some left-over rice.  (Must have come with some Chinese take-out order.  I'm always throwing left-over rice into the freezer.)


I spooned a reasonable portion of rice on the place and then topped it with three large spoons of the Pollo y Calabaza y Garbano.


I ate. I was satiated. I wanted some more...but I held back. Leftovers. Period.

If you have any thoughts, questions, comments, ideas, please feel free to contact me via email at Jim's Gotta Eat.

Be healthy and enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment