Tuesday, March 31, 2015

JGE 35 – Cambodian Pork Belly and Collard Greens

Good Day,

Well I’m trying something new and I’m not sure what part of the world I should be in. Did I ever say that I like to cook?

Got me some Pork Belly and I got me some Collard Greens. So why not try Cambodian Pork Belly and Collard Greens.


My ingredients – Pork Belly; Collard Greens; Mushrooms; Garlic; Onion; Peanut Oil; Fish Sauce; Sugar; Salt; and some Freshly Ground Pepper.


I scored the skin and the fat of the Pork Belly.


I then placed the Pork Belly skin-side down in my hot, hot wok with some almost smoking Peanut Oil.


I wanted to make sure that the skin got crispy without getting burned. Once I browned all sides of the Pork Belly, without overcooking, I took it out of the wok, to let it rest and cool a bit. At this point I cut up the Pork Belly.

Next the Collard Greens.


My preparation of the Collard Greens was to wash them and cut out the central rib. I then chopped them up into a decent size.


I quartered the Mushrooms. For this dish I used just regular White Mushrooms. I suppose you, based on your own preferences, can use any other type of mushrooms or combination thereof.


I also prepped the Garlic and the Onion.



I tossed the Garlic and the Onion into the wok. Something to remember – Overcooked garlic can impart a bitter taste to the overall dish. But if you don’t know any different and have been doing it that way for some time, hey it’s your taste buds. I just do not like bitter tasting garlic.

Once the Garlic, the Onion, and the Mushrooms were done to my liking I threw in the cut up Pork Belly.



Next the chopped Collard Greens. At this point I added some sugar, salt, pepper, and Fish Sauce to taste. Mushrooms tend to soak up oil and liquid so I sort of monitor whether or not to add some more Peanut Oil and Fish Sauce… And if you are allergic to peanuts you can always use some other type of oil. Even Coconut Oil, eh ZC?


I allowed the Collard Greens to cook down a bit while carefully mixing the fusion. I then placed a cover on top and turned the heat down to allow the dish to absorb the flavors.  I did about 5 minutes.



And then I plated the Cambodian Pork Belly and Collard Greens.


I took a fork full and stuffed it into my mouth. Different. Good. Great. I’m sold. This is "a make again".

If you have any thoughts, questions, comments, ideas, please free to contact me via email at Jim’s Gotta Eat.

Be healthy and enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment