Wednesday, March 11, 2015

JGE 32 – Upside Down Vegetable Cake

Good Day,

I found this recipe for an Upside Down Vegetable Cake in Mollie Katzen’s book The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest. And I thought it would be an interesting challenge.

That was until I started working on it. Let me tell you this does take a bit of time to prep and create. It takes some time to cook, but I can tell you that it is definitely something I would try once again.  Only I'll eat it right-side up.

First of all there are three parts, not two, to the construction and cooking of this thing. And just to be sure I added a fourth part, the Tomato Chili Dressing. And the fifth part of course is the eating.


And this is a vegetarian meal with the addition of one egg. For those persons who are on one side or the other it may be considered “ovo-vegetarian”. (That’s a vegetarian who eats eggs.) Oh yes I did use butter…but I’m not going to make a distinction. I do not consider myself a vegetarian or what-ever class or level of vegetarians there are. I just occasionally like to eat stuff that can’t, or so it seems, look me in the eye.

The 1st Part – The Vegetables – Broccoli, Cauliflower, Onion, Green Onion, Carrot, Orange Bell Pepper, Peas, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Cheese…

I blanched and prepped what needed to be prepped. Oh yeah, there’s one hell of a lot of pots and pans for this one.

The 2nd Part – The Cake, actually Biscuit Topping – White Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Sugar, Dried Oregano, Dried Thyme, Fresh Dill, Egg, Yogurt, Butter

The cake, aka biscuit, mixture is spread on top of the vegetables and cheese.


The 3rd Part – The Cooking – 8-by-8 glass baking pan at 350°F for 40 minutes. I let it sit, once done ,for about 7 ½ minutes. Something like that.


The 4th Part – The Tomato Chili Dressing – I decided that I needed some dressing or gravy and so I decided to create a Tomato Chili Dressing.

I threw the following into the blender – Tomatoes, Garlic, Red Chili, Paprika, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Salt, Pepper, Parsley… I just made sure that the concoction was just thick enough to spread on the plate.


The 5th Part – The Eating. Mollie Katzen suggested flipping the cake over so that it would be presented upside-down. Didn’t do that. I just stood on my head. Thank you Father William for being so incessant.


Different. Good. Very good. Damn good.

Any questions, thoughts, ideas, comments email me at Jim’s Gotta Eat. Oh yeah, Jim’s Gotta Eat has a new URL address – http://jimsgottaeat.com.

Jim’s gotta eat. Enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment