Thursday, September 5, 2013

JGE 2 - Jim's Gotta Eat - Enchiladas

Good Day,

I tried something for the first time… Enchiladas. And no, I do not mean that it was the first time to eat enchiladas, but it was my first time to construct and cook them. For most of time, I have sort of avoided cooking Mexican, excepting microwaved Nachos, and Sushi recipes... just because. But this time I thought what the hell? What could I lose? And actually, of all the cooking experts out there right now Rick Bayless is sort of my culinary mentor.

I had to make a quick stop at the grocery store. Well I started with a can of Old El Paso Medium Enchilada Sauce which I picked up at one of the local Publixes. There is a pretty easy recipe on the can, and I thought why not? There are only four ingredients listed, including the 6-inch flour tortillas, on the back label and I thought that this recipe sound pretty basic and boring.

Ground beef, Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, cheese and flour tortillas.  I had to ramp it up.  I added chopped jalapeño peppers, chopped onion, chopped garlic, and refried beans.  Oh and yes I did add some cilantro to fancy-up the plating.

The prep work and the construction was quite easy.  I fried and then drained the ground beef.  I then pushed the cooked ground beef aside in the frying pan and then added the chopped ingredients.  Once had cooked to my liking, I then added the refried beans, a bit of the enchilada sauce, and a fair amount of shredded cheese. I combined all items quickly together.

I preheated the oven to 375 °F, I Pammed a casserole dish, spooned the meat concoction onto the open tortillas, rolled them up and placed them into the dish. I I poured the remaining enchilada sauce and spread a good amount of cheese over the top.  The completed and fixed-up casserole dish was put into the oven and baked for about 20 minutes.


Turned out quite well. Well the picture, I am not a food stylist or photographer... It tasted good and I think I would try this again, maybe with shredded chicken or anything else that I could dream up.   And my blood sugar ranged in the next morning at 111.

I did, enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment