Monday, October 14, 2013

JGE 13 - Part IV - Scotch Bonnet Chili Relish

Good Day,


And on a day that I am not allowed to eat anything but clear liquid and the ever filling Jello, I decided to spend some time in my kitchen in preparation of my fantastic voyage. I am sure that my experimentation with my extra Scotch Bonnets will keep my mind more preoccupied than my appetite.

This time I decided that I wanted to make a sort of Scotch Bonnet Relish, maybe a hybrid Chow Chow.  So my ingredients are: obviously Scotch Bonnet Peppers, garlic, Roma tomatoes, onions, shallots, limes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, vinegar, and oil.



Bringing out my food processor, I figured that this would be the quickest way to fine chop the ingredients. First in went the Scotch Bonnets. Notice that I used both ripe and unripe ones.


Next I threw in the garlic, Roma tomatoes, onions, shallots, and limes.  Yes, I did not seed the Scotch Bonnets.  I wanted heat.  Neither did I seed the tomatoes nor did I peel the limes.  Does this mean I am crass? Hey, possibly.  I added the Worcestershire sauce, the salt, the sugar, and the vinegar.


I heated some vegetable oil in a pan and and set the burner to about medium.  Next I added the chopped mixture and heated everything to boiling.  The aroma of the cooking relish was certainly piquant.


Bottling my Scotch Bonnet Relish I filled three half-pint-size Mason jars.  I've put the cooled down and filled jars into the refrigerator.  I'll try my Relish in about two weeks.



But I cheated, sort of. I tried a tip of a small spoonful of this Scotch Bonnet Relish liquid, and damn... that is hot!

I know that I will enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment