Monday, May 9, 2016

JGE 77 – FBS Down Net 2 Points – Shrimp and Grits

Good Day,

Well kiss my grits. Supper last night, Baked Shrimp and Cheddar Onion Grits with a side salad Iceberg Lettuce and Zucchini with Balsamic Vinegar Dressing. And even though my early morning blood sugar went down a net of 2 points over the weekend they went up 4 points as compared to the supper from the night before.




The Shrimp and Grits were great. Period. They were so, so good. Grits rate 1 cup to about 31 grams of carbs. And I think that as I had about 2 servings and 3 cups of grits I may have eaten 93 grams of carbs.

From LiveStrong.com I read “Grits & High Blood Sugar

“While grits do have an effect on blood sugar, when eaten as part of a balanced diet, they should not cause high blood sugars…As long as you don't exceed the ½-cup serving size, grits should not raise your blood sugar.”

Well I guess I’m not going to survive on only one ½ cup, I think I had 6 halves. And everything else that Jill Corleone's article states about butter, bacon, whole milk (I used Half and Half) that I should have cut back on and create wall-paper paste, I didn’t. So I liked my Shrimp and Grits.



Results –

FSB – 114 ↓ down 116 (Normal range 100 – 125 mg/dL)
A1c – 5.37 ↑ up 5.36 (Normal range 5.7 – 6.4 %)
eAG – 107.3 ↑ up 107.3 (Normal range 117 – 137 mg/dL)



And today I am making two loaves of No-Knead Turbo Bread - Sourdough Flaxseed and White Whole Wheat Trail Mix.

Tune in tomorrow to Jim’s Gotta Eat to see the comparison of the results...and the set up a new Supper Showdown.

Food for thought - I am trying to control my diabetes with exercise and food.  I have eliminated all diabetes medication.  I am keeping my weight stable, and Jim's gotta eat.

Enjoy.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment